History of the School
We are very proud of the long tradition of our school and celebrate this each year on our Commemoration Day with a service held at the Parish Church.
The Free Grammar School of Philip and Mary at Clitheroe was founded in 1554 for the “education, instruction and learning of boys and young men in grammar, to be and to last for ever”.
The Girls’ Grammar School was set up in 1915 and after 42 years of sharing the school buildings with the boys, the newly-built Girls’ Grammar School opened in 1957. The school amalgamated with the Boys’ Grammar School in 1985.
Clitheroe Royal Grammar School continues to thrive on the two sites, with the Sixth Form Centre occupying the historic buildings on York Street and the Main School at the former Girls’ Grammar School buildings on Chatburn Road.
View the timeline showing some of the major events in the History of the school here.
The Clitheroe Royal Grammar School Foundation
The school has a Foundation which is administered by Trustees according to regulations prescribed by the Charity Commission. Investment income from this charity is spent on the school and its students.
"In Saxo Condita" - Founded on Rock
— Our School Motto